Skip links

Back to the Virtual Gallery

Music

It all started on the right note… and it never stopped!

Music crossed the ocean with the Ursulines in 1639. Sister Marie-de-Saint-Joseph, one of the two Ursulines who accompanied Marie of the Incarnation, was a talented musician. It wasn’t long before she was giving voice and viol lessons to the first Indigenous students. The French and Canadian students were not left out, nor were the nuns, who sang psalms and hymns and provided instrumental accompaniment during the Divine Office.

Music lessons became very popular over time. The 1847 course catalog for the Ursuline Boarding School in Quebec City lists the music classes offered: “…Organ, Harp, Piano, Guitar, Accordion, Vocal Music….” Although first given as elective courses, music was so pervasive and became so popular that the leading monasteries opened schools of music affiliated with the universities in Montreal and Quebec City. Music still enlivens the Ursuline monasteries today—music lessons continue to be offered in their schools and concerts are held in their chapels and gardens.

Chromatometer

Wood, metal, fiber and ink
Theodore Frederick Molt
1832
5 x 83.50 x 15.20 cm

This device is a chromatometer, invented by Theodore Frederick Molt. Originally from Germany, Molt moved to Quebec City in 1822. He began giving voice and music lessons upon his arrival. Although Molt did not teach at the Ursuline School, his daughters Henriette-Eugénie, Mathilde and Louise were students there.

The chromatometer, patented on April 6, 1832, was used to regulate the voice and tune a variety of string instruments. If you believe the different press articles written about it, the main advantage of this new device was that anyone could use it with ease.

The teaching of music and voice was particularly important to the Ursulines. Knowing this, we can easily see how useful the chromatometer was for them!

Double-action harp

Wood, brass, gilding, paint, varnish and wool
Sébastian Érard, England
Circa 1835
170 x 90 x 56 cm

In the early 1800s French manufacturer Érard patented numerous technical developments for its harps, including a double-action pedal system (diatonic harp). The instrument pictured here is equipped with this system, allowing musicians to play in any key.

Square piano

Black walnut, ebony, ivory, brass and varnish
Chickering & Sons, United States
Circa 1855
93 x 181 x 84 cm

Purchased in the 1860s, this piano is one of approximately fifteen acquired by the Ursulines in Quebec City during the 1860s and 1870s. A single piano cost nearly $800. Manufacturer Chickering & Sons improved the sonority of its instruments by using a one-piece cast-iron plate that provided better string-tension support.

Grand piano

Grand piano
Black walnut, ebony, ivory, brass and varnish
Heintzman & Co., Toronto
1934
142 x 160 x 102 cm

When Sister Marie-Claire Chasle, a remarkable musician, became an Ursuline nun around 1940, she brought her instrument with her. She was passionate about teaching the fourth art for six decades. Manufactured by the still well-known Canadian company Heintzman & Co., the piano is still in use today!

Return to top of page